Wednesday, April 24, 2013

REAL By Katy Evans Review


New Adult, Contemporary Romance for Mature Readers

This story focuses on two characters Remington (Remy, Riptide, or RIIIIIPTIDE) and Brooke. Let me just start off by saying that the author did a great job describing how gorgeous Remington is, I am blushing when I start to think about it (wow...anyway). The book starts off with a bang, where you're at an underground fight that Brooke's best friend Melanie dragged her to because she has some crush on a fighter. Here enters Remington, and when you read the book - when I say the author knew how to describe the man - I kid you not - I now have a great understanding of what he is like and yes, it would make you swoon; and that was about the time I got hooked in the book

I am not one to condone that you-get-all-"giddy"-when-a-man-calls-you-out-in-a-big-crowd and speaks caveman talk to ya.

"Your name" said Remington
"Uh Brooke" said Brooke
"Brooke what" said Remington  
  
But since Brooke felt good when he did that to her, and she really needed to feel better that night, I looked over it.   I was thinking "what is she going to do? Was she going to get a restraining order?" Who knows what he was going to do because he was kinda scary in the beginning... well, in middle too... okokok - all the way to the end.

With that said I still loved it becuase the Alpha Male character shows some flaws that Remington certainly has a closet full of.  While reading this book I found myself diagnosing the characters because they were so intense.  I don't want to give away any major points in the book, but his family, friends, and there solutions to Remington's problems were a bit extreme. I am glad Brooke stepped in and assured herself when faced with a challenging situation; I still felt Brooke still has some growing to do and also needs to get to know Remington more.  That is why I am so glad that a sequel is on the way. I am left with many questions unanswered:

  • Need to know more on his relationship with his family
  • Does Remington go through predictable cycles typically or is it mixed (if you read the book you will know what I mean)
  • What's Brooke's sister's future?
  • What will their relationship be with his fighting? Does he have a backup plan? Will Brooke insist on more of a stable lifestyle?
  • Will Remington be open to other options in his healthcare?

Overall, this book had me at page one and I could not stop reading it until I was finished. I am not saying this love story I personally would be rooting for in real life, but the part that I enjoyed was the complete certainty of Remington in his actions towards Brooke; you can't help but root for him because he wants to be "that guy" and you want him to be "that guy".

This book gets 5 stars - pure entertainment. This falls in under one of my favorite fighter love stories.

Amazon: $3.99 (bargain book)
Sequel will come out in June 

The author listened to these songs while writing REAL the first two songs are so meaningful to the author and to both Remington and Brooke. Enjoy!

  Iris By Goo Goo Dolls
I Love You By Avril Lavigne
That's When I Knew By Alicia Keys 
 Love Bites By Def Leppard
  High On You By Survivor
  Love Song By Sara Bareilles
  In Your Eyes (2012 - Remaster) By Peter Gabriel
  Kiss Me By Ed Sheeran
   Come Away with Me By Nora Jones
All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (2000 Digital Remaster) By Heart
  Any Way You Want It By Journey
  Love You Like A Love Song By Selena Gomez
  My Life Would Suck Without You By Kelly Clarkson
  Flaws And All By Beyonce
  The Fighter (Feat. Ryan Tedder) By Gym Class Heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment