Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fighting for Flight

Fighting for Flight by J.B. Salsbury ****
(Finally a real fighters romance story)

 

What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose?

The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows, and more than she expects.

Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy Jonah Slade.

Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win.

Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.

Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves?

Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid?


So, I came to find this book on Amazon when I was looking for some fighter romance books. I have read some already and would pick apart the books about how real or not I felt they were.  I read the introduction above and was very skeptical at first, but was pleasantly surprised in the end. 

I love it when I can connect with a book and it took me back in time when I myself used to be a fighter.  I would train with MMA fighters like the book described and even traveled with my team of MMA fighters.  During that experience we were very much in each other’s lives because of all the training hours we spent together, and to be on top you had to keep in the zone.  Getting back to the book, the author writes about a romance between Jonah “The Assassin” (every good fighter has a hook name) and Raven with supporting friends like Blake (which is the next spin off book) with behaviors and mannerism of some true fighters I do know.  I do think the one female MMA fighter that was introduced in the book was crazy.


“It doesn’t matter how you were raised or who you were raised by.  All that matters is who you are now”.
“The woman I see right now, she’s something special.”

 
These are some of the sweet statements Jonah -  who has never had a serious relationship in his life - says about Raven.  Both characters have tragic histories but came up on top in the end.  Not to give away the book but you will find out that in the end working together on their issues rather than in secret worked better. I was happy to read at the end that the author is writing another book about Blake, who was the comic relief in this book. Below is a mini doc of Brandon "Rukus" Thatch a bad-ass MMA fighterThe YouTube doc reminds me of the scene the book that describes Jonah getting ready for his fight for the title. Also, Brandon reminds me of Blake, the character who the author is currently working on a sequal for. What do you think? 





No comments:

Post a Comment